Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bittersweet

I've been debating whether or not to post about the election, but every time I come to write a new post I get stuck. So here it goes...

I'm ecstatic about President-elect Obama! Not only am I thrilled that we will have someone in office who's beliefs and vision I can stand behind, but I love what it says about our country. For me this isn't about black and white, because obviously I'm neither. It's about how proud I am to live in a country that is able to see beyond black and white. We had two great men stand before their country to be judged on their merits, beliefs and vision for our country, NOT race. Simply amazing.

I'm a child of the 80's so I didn't have to live through some of the horrible injustices I've studied and heard stories about. At first, after hearing people's reactions to having a "black" president I thought, maybe it's harder for those of us who haven't experienced that amount of hate to understand the magnitude of this victory. I beg you to open up and dig a little deeper. Just try. I'm not black and I didn't live through slavery or the civil rights movement, but I have been discriminated against. I have been judged. I have felt the ugliness of racism. I am dumbfounded that at one time our country had LAWS that made it ok to treat HUMANS like anything less than one. ** Just wait. We'll come back to this one.** I know what it feels like to go through life with all the hope in the world, except for this little tiny voice that tells you, "maybe not, you're Hispanic". It's a tiny voice for me and my Mom would probably die knowing that all the work she put into building my confidence in "you can do anything" is faulted. Can you imagine how loud that voice is for someone who didn't have great parents? Someone who has less money? lives in a poorer neighborhood? is black? an immigrant? BUT the voice has been silenced, beaten down and told to shut up. WE have proven ourselves better. We have lifted ourselves up to a more intelligent and enlightened society. One that can judge people on their deeds and character instead of their sex and race. Hurray for us!

Why bittersweet you ask? After celebrating the victory of our new President-elect, I heard about the results of Proposition 8 in California. First let me say, I am Catholic and morally I think homosexuality is wrong, but (and it's a BIG one) I do remember in all of my Catechism classes being taught that it isn't my place to pass judgement. And it's definitely not my place to throw stones. I will teach my children that we believe homosexuality is a sin and on the same token I will teach them that hating, judging, and discrimination are wrong too. If I remember correctly, in the Bible is says
John 8:7
Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone.


Doesn't this mean that we shouldn't be condemning these people for the choices they are making? Doesn't this mean that judging and taking away another HUMAN's right is the opposite of what Jesus would have done? I hold strong to my religion but this is the part that confuses me the most. Why are we so open with our judgements and hate, when it's obvious that's not what God is about? Well God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, you say?

"Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, from the Lord
out of the heavens" Genesis 19:24. "Turning the cities of Sodom and
Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to
those who afterward would live ungodly" II Peter 2:6.

Yes, but wasn't it HE who passed judgement and implemented the consequences? Not Abraham? I guess my point is that I'm disheartened that as a People we still find it acceptable to not only pass judgement but to take it further and create laws that will dehumanize people when they are causing no harm to us. Sad.

Bittersweet.


7 comments:

Nutty said...

Well said and so very, very true.

Anonymous said...

Very well said.
Great entry!

Anonymous said...

Oh Crisa, I know we dont agree on alot 0f political things, but I still love you! Great post!

Beckee

Emily Brown said...

I know I *should* bite my tongue here. BUT (of course im not!) what is the difference between teaching your kids homosexuals are sinners and being judge mental?

(p.s. i'm only asking out of love and I wouldn't bring this up with anyone I didn't think could handle it)

Crisa said...

NO, it's a good question. I guess I think of judgment and being judgmental as being different. Homosexuality, like promiscuity, adultery, and prostitution is a moral issue for me and because of my religious beliefs, I believe it is wrong. And to kinda be specific the Bible simple says that sex outside of marriage is wrong, so I guess the loving part isn't a sin, just the sex? This still confuses me. Anyways, to judge means to evaluate. Homosexuality, sin or not a sin? For me, yes. To be judgmental means to condemn based on judgment. I do NOT change my opinions or relationship with someone based on their sins. I was taught that all sins are equal in the eyes of God. So what that should mean to all Christians is that by me being proud of my accomplishments and not humble, I'm equally a sinner in the eyes of God as someone who chooses a homosexual lifestyle. And I say "lifestyle" because I don't think you choose to be gay, but you can choose to act on it. So who am I to condemn someone else for their sins when I am a sinner too.

When I teach my kids about our faith, they will know that we are all imperfect and because of that we don't belittle or condemn people for the sins. Not our job. The best we can do in our lives is love, be loved and live a life we can be proud of. Oh, wait I mean humble of... see I still have no clue.

I love ya, and I'm just trying to figure this all out too.

christin said...

Even though we don't agree on political issues all the time, I do think it is very exciting that we have been a part of an election that was going to make history either way! :)

Emily Brown said...

I think, where you can flat out say something someone else is doing is wrong without any knowledge of circumstance, is where I and organized religion will never see eye to eye. I appreciate you explaining that to me. That sounds a lot more like the Crisa I know. I was lost for a moment.

It is refreshing to hear I'm not the only one trying to figure it all out. The scariest thing to me is the people who already claim to know right and wrong as if it were black and white.

Love you too. You know you've hit a new level in your friendship when you can openly talk about these things. (Even in blogs.) I've missed this. <3

See you tomorrow?