Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Judgemental

I LOVE it when people comment *hint, hint* Anyways, I thought this was worthy of it's own post.

MissMommaBrown:
I know I *should* bite my tongue here. BUT (of course I'm not!) what is the difference between teaching your kids homosexuals are sinners and being judgemental?(p.s. I'm only asking out of love and I wouldn't bring this up with anyone I didn't think could handle it)

Me:
NO, it's a good question. I guess I think of judgment and being judgmental as being different. Homosexuality, like promiscuity, adultery, and prostitution is a moral issue for me and because of my religious beliefs, I believe it is wrong. And to kinda be specific the Bible simple says that sex outside of marriage is wrong, so I guess the loving part isn't a sin, just the sex? This still confuses me. Anyways, to judge means to evaluate. Homosexuality, sin or not a sin? For me, yes. To be judgmental means to condemn based on judgment. I do NOT change my opinions or relationship with someone based on their sins. I was taught that all sins are equal in the eyes of God. So what that should mean to all Christians is that by me being proud of my accomplishments and not humble, I'm equally a sinner in the eyes of God as someone who chooses a homosexual lifestyle. And I say "lifestyle" because I don't think you choose to be gay, but you can choose to act on it. So who am I to condemn someone else for their sins when I am a sinner too. When I teach my kids about our faith, they will know that we are all imperfect and because of that we don't belittle or condemn people for the sins. Not our job. The best we can do in our lives is love, be loved and live a life we can be proud of. Oh, wait I mean humble of... see I still have no clue. I love ya, and I'm just trying to figure this all out too.

2 comments:

Emily Brown said...

hahaha is this what you meant by "linking" me?

{sue} said...

Interesting post. There are so many angles to this issue, I hardly know how to write about it. I am Catholic too, and yet, I wonder why, if God is Love, why He would make people whose love is wrong.

I guess a lot of that is based on what a person views as the origin of homosexuality - is it a choice or is it something inborn? (And if inborn, is it a defect, or a difference?)

It's confusing. But I agree with you on Prop. 8. Sigh.