Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pass the award on down...

Poison control - check
ER visit - check, check

Good Lord I'm going to lose my mind. Last weekend, we had to rush M to the ER when his finger was smashed between the wagon and bumper of the truck. Daddy panicked, A sobbed, M took it like a champ, and I swore that this little one was going to be the death of me. I know I have years, YEARS of broken bones, bloody parts, gross oozing things and ER visits in my future with my very active kids, but really??? so soon??? Before they ER could even file M's paper work away, we showed up at their doors again last night. I think some of the nurses even remembered us. I could tell by their heads shaking and slight eye rolls. This time it was my fault. So pass me the damn Mom of the Year award!!

After I gave A some Tylenol for a fever, I put her down for a nap and then went to the kitchen to start dinner. About an hour later, I heard the water going in the bathroom and went to check it out. I lost my mind. A was playing with the Tylenol bottle, which was now full of water and no medicine in sight. I should have known better than to leave it on the counter. It was closed, but obviously NOT child proof. A has the opposite reaction to Tylenol and it makes her hyper so I should have anticipated she wouldn't sleep. Damn.

Poison control. Call Daddy. Go to ER. A cookie, pack of Skittles, peanut butter crackers and five hours later, she's fine. Her levels were a little elevated which says she did drink a little, but not all of it. They just monitored her, took blood and put that gawd awful IV in her and then let us go when her levels were back to normal.

There, now my shame is out there for the world to judge. I'm just so thankful that my baby is ok. Lesson learned and Daddy is now putting the rest of the locks on our cabinets. I'm on the hunt for Tylenol that tastes like ass so my kids don't want to chug it like juice.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Listen up lady! These things happen! It sucks but we are merely human beings trying to raise our babies. We make mistakes. No more beating yourself up. That said, I KNOW how hard it is to put this into practice.

HUGS... I'm glad everything is okay.

PS I had to call poison control for Mark like 3 times by the time he was two. Once, he ate dishwasher detergent out of the dishwasher (It hadn't all rinsed out in the wash cycle... I was unloading), then it was the oil out of an oil lamp, and lastly, some dramamine that my hubby's Grandfather had (in the bubble pack, which Mark chewed through. Not that that makes you feel better, but seriously, it happens.

christin said...

I have called posion control twice already for Noah getting into the exterminator's spray and eating deoderant. I feel your pain! I was almost embarrassed to tell them my name the second time, b/c I could just imagine them pulling up my file and thinking that I was an awful mother! I think we are going to have to get used to this, b/c our kids get into everything! Glad everything is okay.

Anonymous said...

Here's your card. Welcome to Motherhood! If you don't call poison control or go to the ER at least once with all of your children then we'll have to take the card away.

And Congrats on the new little one!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Brown said...

i can't even imagine. now im freaking out thinking about isabella's first er visits and posion control calls.

THANKS

Rebecca said...

Tylenol scares the mess out of me. So glad everything is ok!

I called for Cora. I left the desitin in her crib when she was around 1. of course she ate some!Duh!

Nutty said...

If it makes you feel any better, we've done that here too! With adult tylenol. Why do they make it look like m&ms? Hugs, mama! I'm so glad A is ok!

Jessica said...

I did the same thing with gummie vitamins...left them in his room when he went to sleep...stupid card, I know, but the bottle is childproof, right? WRONG! Luckily there were only 4 left, so no harm done, but been there done that!

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Crisa! That must have been scary. Don't be too hard on yourself. They make that stuff like candy! Madeline makes up aches and pains just so she can have some.