Monday, December 8, 2008

To be a hypocrite is to be human...

What do you think?

I just recently heard someone say this and I've been rolling it around in my head. The last time I was called a hypocrite, which was just a week or so ago, I wasn't offended, and that's very different from the other million few times I've had that word slung at me. This time I just thought, "Well yeah, I am." I think that the idea of who I want to be, the goals I have set for myself and I'm constantly striving to meet, haven't been reached yet. I'm a hypocrite. I say as a mother that my kids come first, but sometimes they don't. Marriage should be about respecting each other, but sometimes that gets thrown out the window on the tail of my harsh words. Quality time... "Right after this email, baby girl." I should just put a "live green" sticker on my SUV, huh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not embracing the idea of striving to be a hypocrite, but let's not kid ourselves, we all are. I think the important part for me is that I WANT to be a better person and I am striving to be but sometimes, well a lot of the times, I fail.


Here's a striving-to-be-Earth-friendly hypocrite's artificial tree.

2 comments:

Emily Brown said...

you, and your (somewhat unhealthy) need to always be better, or greener, or more mindful is an inspiration. i think if we were all trying to be a little "better" (for lack of a better word) we'd all be a little better off. thank you for being you.

Rebecca said...

Well if it helps Ben loves your tree. He was in my lap and said "Tree" in his excited squealy voice.

I think we can all only do our best.