Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My sweet boy


When I hold you in my arms and kiss your chubby checks I try desperately to hold on to the smell of your hair, and coolness of your wet kisses. You are my baby and you're one already. The year since you made your miraculous entrance has passed quicker than I could have ever imagined. Sometimes I pause in the middle of my day and close my eyes, trying hard to remember every detail of our morning naps when you were only weeks old. My heart almost races out of my chest when I can feel you snuggled up in a little ball around my neck. I can still feel you breath on my neck and you fuzzy black hair tickling my cheek. I stop the world for moments throughout my life so that keep these memories in pristine condition. On this day, when you fit so snugly on my hip and your sticky hands cling to me while you are deciding if this scene is something you want to explore, I stop time to savor every detail. You are on the cusp of toddler independence and I don't want to let go. I know I need to, but I hold on tight trying to convince you to stay, but alas the inevitable. You want down. And the world begins to move again.

No comments: